Entry-level positions are among the hardest jobs to land. Competing against a roster of profiles that looks scarily similar to (gasp!) yours – How do you get YOUR stiletto in the office door on the first day?
- Be your own Brand Ambassador on and offline! Have a (positive!) footprint and be consistent throughout your platforms.
- If you landed an interview: You passed the first step. Now impress: Give examples, know your audience and show what you can do for them and smile.
- Don’t “talk” too much on your resume; it isn’t your book. Do highlight your strengths.
- Interview them as well and ask smart questions. They are choosing you as a candidate but you are also choosing them as an employer.
- Respond ASAP: to an interview request, a ‘Thank You’ post-interview or decline/offer.
- Remember Body Language! Have a firm handshake. Always look the interviewer in the eye, calmly, smile, be relaxed, comfortable. (No one wants to hire a nervous Nellie).
- Be yourself- No one wants to hire someone only to discover someone else in a month!
Christie Hill, Consultant at Strategic Objectives.